Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fargo on skinny trails

The bike in front is a new Salsa Spearfish, my Fargo is in
the back. 
I rode the Fargo back to work on Friday. Then I was lucky enough to be able to leave work early and get a quick ride in on the Hanson-Larson trails in Rapid City. The Fargo was nimble enough and climbed really well. I'm less than impressed on it's downhilling abilities but it is a rigid frame with drop bars. A lot different from what I'm used to.

The bars were the largest thing I couldn't get used to. I couldn't find a comfortable place to put my hands on downhill sections. I'd have my hands on the hoods and my thumbs would start cramping, I'd put them in the drops and I just didn't feel like I had control and if I just had them on top I didn't have access to the brakes. I also thought the breaks were less than stellar durning those sections.

I did have to keep reminding myself this is not my 5.5" travel blur. It's a completely different bike with different abilities. I wished the breaks worked a little better but I'm sure since they're brand new it'll take a little time for them to get broke in.

It was fun and I'm glad I know I'll be able to ride any single track I want if I'm out for a jaunt.

No comments: