Monday, March 17, 2008

2 Things

I've been toying with the idea of creating a single speed bike out of my old 1997 Schwinn Moab mountain bike. I know I am going to do this and it is taking me a lot longer than I originally anticipated. I really really want to do this. I want to see what the fuss of single speeds is all about. I want to know why every person who rides the Dakota 5-0 beats me on their single speed. I want to be one of those people who mash up hills and cruise down them with one gear. It's not that I want to fit into the fad of single speeding, I really want to know what it's about.

So, here is my commitment. I will finish my single speed bike by July. That will give me 2 months to ride it before the 5-0, not saying that I will ride it in the 5-0 but I want to have at least ridden it on trails to feel the grace of having 1 gear.

On another note, my friend who is giving me their old Novara said I can pick it up any time. It is in perfect running condition, but with a few minor things that will need to be fixed. I am debating on if I want to make this a single speed commuter or geared. It currently has front and rear racks. The main problem with it is some of the gearing was messed up. I will probably need to buy a new crank set and probably new chain rings for the rear. Probably I should just get all the parts new, hubs, freewheel, crank set, derailieur and chain. I'll see. It all depends on what sort of funds for my project.

If you would like to donate to this project, please feel free to email me or post a comment here on your contact information. I can then let you know where you mail me a check. I can also set up a direct deposit or any other way you would like to give me money. I also accept cash.

No comments: