Monday, March 31, 2008

Saturday Ride Report

The weather was nice and sunny. I think the temps were topping a whopping 60 degrees. However, there was one thing that made the ride not quite as enjoyable as it could have been. A 40 mph wind blowing directly into my face. It was still worth the ride. I left my house, rode up Floorman, along Skyline drive like I ride to work and then down Hwy 16 to Reptile Gardens. Then I turned and cruised up Neck Yoke until I got to Old Rockerville road. I then turned around and came back to town. 30 miles of fun. It was my longest ride of the year so it feels really good to have that behind me. I think I'm going to shoot for 40 this Saturday. One thing I really wasn't prepared for was the 3,000+ total feet of climbing. On Neck Yoke, there is a steep section that is about 1.5 miles long and about an average of 9 or 10% grade. Yeah, it's steep.

I stopped to snap a picture and this guy came up behind me. He asked where I was going and wondered if I wanted to ride along with him. He was going about twice as far as I was so I said no... I have to get back. When in actuality, I couldn't have made 60 miles. I didn't have the fuel or the legs to complete that task. Maybe next time.







No comments: