Monday, July 20, 2009

Cranks

I'm having some serious issues with my cranks on my Kula Supreme. The cranks are off my old Dawg and have seen better days. 

The last few days on my commute they would really start to creak and squeek about 5 minutes into the ride. On Friday, it was horrible. 

Once I got home I assesed the situation. The left crankarm was apparently loose (read: almost ready to fall off). I located my trusty allen wrench to tighten the said crankarm when to no avail, it would not tighten. Well, it would, but not to actually tighten the crankarm itself. The screw would tighten, then I couldn't turn the cranks. As soon as I would loosen the screw, the crank would whoble freely once again.

So, I guess the Kula has to go in for some service. I don't know if I can get away with a spacer or something or if it is more serious. I really don't want it to be serious but if it is, I really have no choice. I can't say I have extra cranks laying around for a spare. 

Also, now that I'm trying to downsize my amount of crap. I don't have a plethora of bicycles to choose and ride each and every day. I still have my Coilair which is also getting sold. I have an interested party so I should probably clean it up and have it ready to head out the door. Which will leave me with my Kula, a Dawg frame and a Schwinn that is torn apart and might as well be just a frame. And that's all my bikes.

I'm thinking I might have to look into buying a good commuter bike. I feel slightly guilty riding my best mt bike to work every day. Seems like it's going to wear out faster than I care for it to. 

Kona Ute... Is it in the future? Maybe that's what the Coilair will turn into. 

I'll then have 2 bikes, my good mt bike and my commuter.

Seems logical.

2 comments:

Snakebite said...

Sounds like a serious bottom bracket issue.

Anonymous said...

I had a similar problem the other day on my mountain bike. Broke a pedal and stripped the crank arm. Sigh... $100+ fix...