Friday, February 8, 2008

Rollers

Alright, those rollers that I ordered from Performance came in yesterday. I set them up last night (very easy by the way) and hopped on my bike for a little spin. I took the advice from everyone on roadbikereview and started out in a doorway. That was some of the best advice I have ever gotten. To start with, I couldn't let go of the doorway. I was wibbly and wobbly all over the place, but I never fell off. After about 5 minutes of that, I finally got myself steady enough to put both hands on the handlebar. I was staring straight ahead at the front door. My wife was watching and she was wondering why I was gazing at the door without looking around. I told her if I look anywhere else, I'm gonna die.

So, after about 10 minutes of trial and error up-stairs, I thought i would actually try and get a workout in. So I moved my bike and the rollers downstairs, set them up by the wall, put in a mt bike movie and started riding. I made the mistake of looking down to the left... I fell over. I didn't hit the ground, but it was bad enough that I'm pretty sure I would have won the funniest home video award.

Anyone who says that you can't get a workout on rollers is mistaken. In my opinion, I was on the rollers for a total of 15 minutes of actual workout time and I was beat. I had to downshift a couple times because my legs and lungs were getting pretty tired. They are the 3 inch variety which I heard is more like a road feel. I will be ready this year and hopefully these rollers will snap me into shape.

My only complaint is they are fairly noisy. I thought they would be quiet but nope, they make a fair amount of noise.

A+ on the purchase. $150 well spent. Oddly enough, I am really looking forward to my training session tonight. Maybe I'll get 20 minutes in this time.

3 comments:

bikingbrady said...

Good Luck! I have a "borrowed" set and I'm pretty sure what few miles I'll put on in my house will be on a fluid trainer. Yep...I'm a pussy.

SD_pedalpower said...

Me 2.

cycling supplies said...

I don't get this. "My only complaint is they are fairly noisy. I thought they would be quiet but nope, they make a fair amount of noise." Could you please enlighten me on this? I keep following all your posts hope you can regularly post more. I get very useful information here. Thanks for having this.



cycling supplies