Thursday, November 13, 2008

Inspiration

I'm not sure why, but recently I seem to have had a revelation on why I love design. See, I am in the education pseudo Web design industry and lately it seems I've fallen into a bit of a slump. However, the last couple days have been quite inspiring for me. Accidentally, I stumbled upon some really good Web sites with amazing design that lead to other sites with the same qualities. These things are really what I needed at this point.

My slump has been looming around me for a couple months. Feelings of creative nothingness have lingered to the point where I want to quit and become a poet (not true). Thank goodness for yesterday. Somehow, a new sense of freedom and passion has found its place back in my heart where I can once again enjoy the profession of design.

Sometimes it's not even the profession itself, but more importantly, the willingness to put myself out there. Every time I design anything, I feel that it's a piece of me. Somedays are better than others and some days lead to days that I dwell on for months. They are just plain crappy. Like many designers, I need constant inspiration to continue to be inspired. That might sound repetitive, but it's true, without inspiration, we, as designers, are left to explore our own thoughts which more often than not, lead to emptiness or places you don't want to go.

So, all in all, I'm glad that I've had the last couple days to revive my passion for my profession. I'm still not entirely happy because I feel there is a change that needs to happen, but I am convinced that my current choice will lead me where I need to go. At this point, I'm not sure where that is, but I do think it is somewhere creative and it is somewhere that has been in my heart since I was drawing my first stick figure on a napkin. It needs to be someplace where creativity flows much more habitually than it does now.

No comments: