Thursday, October 23, 2008

Lifting

I started lifting weights last week. When I was in college, it was a daily activity. Once I graduated, I didn't loose the ambition, but I did loose the free gym, I lost the convenience and I lost some time. I have decided that I need to get back to lifting for the health of it, so on Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's, I go to the NAU gym and get a 1 hour workout in. I lifted legs last Friday and then I did some lunges yesterday, my legs are quite mad.

I became a little upset about the amount of muscle loss I have experienced. I used to be able to push quite a bit of weight, now, I lift only a little. I could bench my body weight and I could squat far more than 225 pounds. I'll get it back.

After I finished my lift yesterday, I did an interval workout on the treadmill. 30 seconds at an 8 and 1 minute at a 4-5 (hardness scale). I repeated it 10 times and I'm pretty sure I pulled my quad. It'll be ok, it's not serious, but it does hurt and stretching and loosening does not help. All in all, I feel much better now that I'm lifting.

And, if that isn't enough, I ordered some new running shoes. This is one thing I am extremely excited about. 5 years ago, I ran the Mt. Rushmore marathon. I'd like to do one again but have had knee (ITB) problems. I recently talked with Josh Ellis (founder of the Gut Check 212) about it and he strongly advised new shoes. He said problems like that usually stem from the feet. So, we'll see if that helps. Angie and I might have the goal of running the Boulder Boulder next year. I would also love to do another marathon!

No comments: